Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Dark Knight


I just got back from a special screening of "The Dark Knight" at the IMAX. In a word: AWESOME! (And I'm not just saying that to make Girl Friday jealous! )(You so totally should have come with!)

Without going into details or spoilers, this was not only the best superhero movie of the summer (Sorry Iron Man) but it's easily the best movie I've seen all year. Heath Ledger's Joker is SO good! He just exudes creepy! I'm pretty sure Hannibal Lector would have nightmares about this Joker.

The rest of the cast is great too. Both Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman do particularly good jobs but I really want to give Christian Bale special mention. His Batman is really spot on. It's easy to forget how difficult it is to play Batman. Don't think so? Ask George Clooney or Val Kilmer, both of whom I think are fine actors but definitely had a bit of trouble getting Batman right. It's easy to want to try and give the character more personality by making Batman say a funny line or two but when that happens, it seems to make the character a bit campy. Mr. Bale anchors the film in a very believable way without falling into the "I'll add a joke here" trap. That isn't to say he doesn't have some humourous moments. He just does it without bringing a lot of attention to it. He does an excellent job in what is, really, a thankless role

In a very small role is the character actor "Tiny" Lister and he is in one of my favorite scenes of the movie. Look for him on the ferry.

I'm hoping to post a more in depth review later today but with the move downstairs at RTC, internet is going to be gone for a week or so and thus I will have to wait till I get home after work to write.

Do yourself a favor and see The Dark Knight as soon as you can.

4 comments:

Elwood said...

I cannot wait to see this very early Friday morning!

Oracle_Batgirl said...

Word. I'll bring the backpack of graphic novels, you bring the red vines in the shape of the batmobile! :)

Kristina said...

I'm so bitter. So very, very bitter.

wicked juan said...

Next time, ask OB for her recipe for Chloroform Cupcakes. Kids can't resist them!